Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Will blog for sleep.

I've entered Germany illegally. I have no visa to speak of and a one way ticket. This is a large no-no that shouldn't have gotten me past check in. The travel gods were with me as I threw on my freckle face and convinced the lady that there was world peace. Germany needs not fear me.

And despite it all, I am here, alive and well. Cold and sniffling. Fugitive and all.

I had spent 16 hours in travel, 9 hours in transit and a resulting 15 hours in bed. There were some highlights to day one.
  1. OMG, I'm above the UK.
    Near the end of my 11 hour flight, I flipped on the map on my personal television screen and lo and behold I'm right above England. OMG, I'm above the UK. Don't tell me to stop smiling.

  2. Brown Spots.
    As we descend upon German land, I take note of the geometric pattern of fields. They have different shades and textures and then these blocks of brownish orange amongst them. I squint my eyes, trying to figure out what they are. As the plane gets closer to landing, the brown sections become clearer and I realize that they are trees!! It's FALL! Hawaii has made me ignorant but I feel giddy inside.

  3. Nix means Nothing in German.
    So nobody will call me that.

  4. I invented German architecture.
    The houses in Germany have extremely pointy roofs, like the ones I used to draw as a kid. Except, these have a lot more windows.

  5. Germans don't have closets.
    My host family asked if I preferred the large bedroom or the small bedroom and I simply replied, "The one with the biggest closet." "Sweetie, Germans don't have closets. They have armoires." You know, like Beauty and the Beast and the Chronicles of Narnia. I'm going to say that that adds a sprinkle of fun when I get dressed in the morning.
Day two has been a lot more eventful, even considering the fact that I woke up at noon. Don't judge me, a 12 hour difference is the equivalent to a major kick up the butt. Don't tell me to suck it up, being awake hurts.

The kids have taken extremely well to me which has been a surprise to their parents. Go Nix and her undeniable charm. I feel like the pied piper. We've already exhausted ourselves on the giant trampoline. Twice. I swear that's the only thing that makes me warm in this 60 degree weather. Oh yea, ps. I am now living in a massive, custom built house with three floors, a fireplace, antiques and high ceilings. I have outdone myself.

My host mom has been unbelievably accommodating. Before we went to pick up the kids, she took me to their back yard where there are like ten deer and a stag. We fed them raw spaghetti noodles, which apparently is deer cuisine.

Then we drove into Dusseldorf to pick up the kids at their fancy international private school. The Mom may be rich, but she scoffs at the other Chanel-wearing moms and yells at her kids in public. She knowingly ignores the standards that other wealthy parents hold themselves to. It's actually kind of funny.

Then as we were driving home, I made a comment about a horse and its baby (which there are many of in her part of town). So The Mom called her sister-in-law and we suddenly have an appointment to visit Pear, her horse.

So, we drive twenty minutes into THE NETHERLANDS where the horse stables are located. (It's my second day in Germany, and I'm already in another country. This is just way too awesome for my comprehension). We feed Pear horse-chips and ride him around until it's time to rush to a Portuguese restaurant where The Dad, is waiting for us. (They say that German food sucks which is why Germans eat other cultural foods). Chips (deep fried fresh potato slices) are the best things ever.

And now that I've keep myself up, it is time for a deep sleep full of animal dreams. I probably love Germany.

1 comment:

White Devil said...

Wow, Nix. That sounds like such an adventure! Not gonna lie, horses kinda scare me. I still can't believe you're in Germany! Keep up the awesome~