Sunday, January 11, 2009

Torchlight Procession

The Torchlight Procession kicks off the New Years festivities (called Hogmanay) in Edinburgh, Scotland. I managed to catch this opening act and my heart will forever be fulfilled by the experience of it.

Celebration, community, extravagance, beauty; it was the most spectacular thing I had seen during my holiday travels. I remember feeling so moved by it all, by the over-abundance of people and their unspoken synchronicity, by the fire that blazed through the streets and the hills that it set aflame. It was the largest procession Edinburgh has ever seen, and I walked as part of it.

Not knowing what to expect or how things would turn out, I made recordings throughout the night to help depict the grandeur of what unfolded before me. Although this video will do it no justice, I hope that it can at least put the desire in your heart to see it for yourself.

2 comments:

Kaiceratops said...

wow, that's fricken amazing. soooo many people. i think i know where i need to be in december.

Unknown said...

Do it!