Tuesday, August 18, 2009

15 minutes at a time

I seem to have developed an affinity for blogging in unconventional paces as I am currently hidden away in a sparsely populated area of Bangkok International Airport. My flight to Dubai has been delayed for 30 minutes and while seeking to find a bathroom, I have subsequently discovered a free Internet port. The keys stick and omit consonants while easily doubling up on vowels, but I will gladly put up with any keyboard quirks in exchange for free access to gmail. Of course, even that would be too good to be true, which is also maybe why i can only be logged in for 15 minutes at a time. There is a lot of toil involved in bringing this to you.


It pains me to leave Thailand and I have yet to place all the reasons why. I have paraded around this country with a personal car and driver and the loose equivalent of a bodyguard. I suppose this is a classic result of who-you-know, or rather, who-knows who-you-know. I got lucky and spent two weeks feeling like a princess.

Oh, but I digress. The things I've seen! Just this afternoon, I caught a rickety boat across a river to a pottery island. Thing is, and unbeknownst to us, the potters are located far between, requiring us to hire the local mode of transportaton: motorcycles. So then I suddenly found myself saddled up behind a Thai cross dresser on a speedy two wheeler, zig zagging through narrow walkways with 90 degree turns, honking horns to imply impending doom. On the way back, we got caught in a thunderstorm, and our daring escape from the downpour only caused my white dress to turn transparent and residual rooftop water to flow from my moppy head, through my eyelashes and into my mouth. Call me a hypochondriac, but I sure didn't have a sore throat yesterday.


That was because yesterday I was in the emergency room getting my pee tested for a bladder infection. My body finds ways to survive. I'm okay.


Anyway, I think it's about that time to wait patiently at my gate. Hopefully I do not nod off as I won't be boarding until a little after 1 in the morning. I'll arrive within the United Arab Emirates six hours from now, traveling back in time so that I can step off in Dubai at just after 5am - perhaps an Arabian sunrise is in order.

No comments: