Saturday, August 15, 2009

Movement.

I update from an internet cafe that is situated on the bridge of a mall that caters to expats, drinking hot coffee and staring at my complimentary strawberry cookie. Bangkok's alright, Thailand is great.

In between the moment I left you in Torino, I have circumnavigated my way through central Italy, hopped on a train to the South of France, dipped my tongue in the Mediterranean Sea and hitched a plane to Thailand where I have been for the past two weeks. Life has been immeasurably sweet, and I mean this quite literally as Thai's have a notorious affinity for their desserts. I'm turning a blind eye to the instant metamorphosis sticky rice and mango have had on my hips. Needless to say, this place caters to my palette.

A few days ago I returned from Chiang Mai, a city in the Northwest of the country. The trip was remarkable in countless ways, but it also signified the start of what I will consider a rude awakening. True poverty, widespread suffering and the illegal trafficking of exotic wildlife can leave a crude scar in an innocent heart.

Of course, more on that later. For now, a nice night out under the invisible stars of Bangkok. In a few days I will be hidden in cloth, traipsing around the United Arab Emirates.

No comments: