Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Baking Soda does it all.

Italians are not proficient bakers of sweets, though nothing compared to the South Koreans whose homes are not equipped with ovens at all. Still, the use of Bicarbonato di Sodio, or baking soda, is used here more often than I have ever seen. Aside from leavening your basic cakes and tarts, the Italians use baking soda to give a small fizz to their water. In fact, to purchase baking soda from your local supermarket, one would first have to peruse the soft-drink section in order to find it.
In addition, I've also seen people wash their fresh produce in a bowl with a mixture of water and baking soda. Ask Arm & Hammer and they'll suggest you scrub your fruits with a sponge sprinkled with their product. I tried it on my apples once and, not to sound like the son of a skeptic, but I couldn't tell the difference either way.

Still, the strangest use I've seen demonstrated for me in this country would be the direct application of baking soda on the teeth. It makes partial sense as I've seen my toothpaste tubes declaring its partnership with baking soda, tag teaming to eliminate cavities AND whiten your teeth for the good price of one. But is it possible (or even wise) for baking soda to accomplish more than just making your cupcakes fluffy?

Nix: So tell me about bicarbonato di sodio.
Rebe (she's 11): I sometimes put toothpaste, then salt and then baking soda on my toothbrush because it whitens your teeth. It's disgusting. But it's useful.
Nix: Who told you to do that?
Rebe: My daddy.
Nix: Do you do it everyday?
Rebe: No! Absolutely not. Otherwise it ruins your gums. You do it once a month.

And there you have it. The many uses of baking soda in Italy. Be warned if you decide to try out the last option as baking soda is surprisingly salty and therefore downright disgusting on the palate. My advice is to brush your teeth first, numbing your taste buds with that fresh and clean minty flavor before giving it a second go with BS (and by BS, I do of course mean Baking Soda).

No comments: