Thursday, November 12, 2009

Like falling in love with someone far away.

I've been in Berlin for one day, and already I am feeling something strange. With Venice, I felt the need to revisit, but with Berlin, I feel like I need to stay. For a few real (long) moments, I contemplated moving directly here after Italy - After all, I am only a two hour flight away. But, the reality of income and visas come into play and it's easy to dismiss the idea as a partially bad one.

So, I formulated a plan: Go back to school, study German, get my degree, move to Berlin and teach at an international school. I so rarely have definitive emotions with decisive goals that this feeling of certainty is almost bazar just because it's so... novel. This may actually be the start of a new motivation in my life. Over the past year I've figured that I wanted to teach abroad, though I didn't know where. Without that destination in mind, my plans felt lackluster and fragile. Why, any change of circumstance could reset my ideas altogether as nothing was rooted to begin with.

But now, like falling in love with someone far away, I am making the risky decision to format my life in ways that make that long distance love compatible. I will mold myself through education into someone more qualified for life in this city. And with that, I begin.

No comments: