Sunday, November 1, 2009

Just call me Gimpy McGimperson

This is "Blog Every Day In November" entry #1, coming to you live from Venice, Italy. This will also be the last time I ever start a blog that way.

So when I was in Paris last year, I somehow hurt my right knee in ways that keep coming back to me. It's a problem that takes its leave during my traveling down-time, but continually reappears to join me in my city-wide circumnavigation. Venice has been no different, and somewhere between Giardini and Piazza San Marco it came back again with a disgruntled fervor that is somewhat reminiscent of waking a hungry troll in the middle of its nap.

Still, this handicap was well earned as I covered a lot of Venetian ground before it had a chance to be debilitating. Making use of my sidekick, the map, I managed to efficiently make my way to the Fondazione Musei Civici Veneziani which has no particles in its title, so I don't know how to properly translate it. What I can do is give you a summary of its collection, and that is mostly modern. Now, I have an inability to appreciate modern art so let me assure you that the reason why I was there transcends both Cubism and Futurism. In my guide book there is a strategically placed picture of Judith II, a painting crafted in 1909 by the famous Gustav Klimt. That perfectly formed boob would draw anyone to it's doors. And so the story goes.

Though honestly, I absolutely adore his work and the three Euro student fare was worth it (current and former students alike, I beseech you, if you want to make the most of your college education, carry your student ID card around at all times and claim your reduced rate entry fee at every possible opportunity)!

At some point in the day, I decided that catching a water taxi would be to my best interest despite never learning how the entire system worked. Trying only gets you so far, so I did the next best thing, which was to hop onto the first boat that appeared. I ended up on the isle of Lido which had nothing to offer me except the danger of death by land vehicle. You see, Venice doesn't have any roads, just canals and bridges. Therefore no cars, just boats and gondolas. There's something extremely pleasant about this, especially after a lifetime of having to share my streets with engines.


On the way home, I took a spontaneous stop to Giardini where I wandered into yet another modern art exhibition, though this was a biennial international art fair, which kind of made it more exciting. Kind of.


This is where my knee gives out and I return to my hostel fairly early to take a hot shower and write you all post cards because blogging about my day just isn't nearly personal enough. This is where you express your gratitude.

No comments: